Friday, August 26, 2016

The Blue Van Blues



The other day i saw blue Super Shuttle van I-5.  Made me mad all over again.

See, I drove for Super Shuttle between 2002 and 2004 in Sacramento when the company switched its drivers status from employees to independent contractors. This resulted in all expenses, including maintenance, dispatcher services, insurance, lease payments, uniforms, taxes and airport fees, amounting to about $6000 per month, being passed on the to driver, including a requirement that drivers commit to a minimum of 60 hours on the job six days a week for a 10-year period.  In the words of a black cabbie I knew, "Sounds like life on a plantation."

We were not allowed to take the 10-year contract out of the Sacramento office for review by an attorney, even though the Los Angeles office encouraged drivers to seek legal counsel before signing.  A further stipulation required that the independently owned contractors' vans, not those leased from Super Shuttle, be no more than four years old, and that the contractor pay Super Shuttle the cost of the van's paint, livery and decals -- all at inflated prices.  Super Shuttle also had a pipeline to Ford, Chrysler and GM dealers for new vans at a fat markup.

As for maintenance, Super Shuttle mechanics in Sacramento would replace drive wheel tires with recaps, which is illegal for vehicles used for public transport in California, and resulted in one van being totaled on I-5 from tire failure. I picked up the frightened but uninjured passengers.

There in no limit to the greed of Super Shuttle's Phoenix-based owner/owners.  The company's compensation plan is based on the employment laws of the misnamed "right to work" state of Arizona with its union busting statutes.  A class action suit was filed by former drivers for back wages in 2008. The drivers won.  My share was $500, a token amount considering what I'd paid for employment with Super Shuttle -- the worst company I've worked for in my 50 productive years before my blessedly slothful retirement. 
'
I've noticed that nowadays most of Super Shuttle drivers seem to be recent immigrants with little knowledge of English and even less of labor rights. God help them. God help their passengers, and I thank God I'm an atheist

Maybe things would have worked out better for me if I had been a Blue Man for a Blue Van. 

Naaah.  Super Shuttle owns the rights to its special blue paint.  I would've been charged a monthly user fee.  

-oOo-

E-mail comments, critiques and snarky corrections to tomatomike@aol.com

Whoopie!  Another insight into your past. Blue vans, super shuttle, limos, taxis and who knows what else, Sky Taxi?  Good to hear another story and thanks for including me. -- Kent
Thanks for reading it  MB
_____  

Sometimes you just have to say something.   Well seriously.   I'm sorry that integrity isn't a mainstay with everyone, and that the bottom line is not the same across the board.  No one should have to be forced to do the right thing, either.  Writing this stuff down should be therapeutic at least, and hoping for poetic justice or something else satisfying is understandable. I've SO been there.  So what do we do now?  I will join forces with you against 'em or bring something fun and inappropriate to take our minds off.   Send instructions. -- Zoey

Just vote with your business, your cash and your credit card.  -- MB
_____

I get up and check my email and what do I see?...an email from my friend Pomidoro Mike!....Have a great day ok Mike?...you tomato man you :-) Qbman
_____

If I see these in operation around here, I'll put the word out.  This should never have been allowed to happen in the first place and I am sorry it did to you.  -- Rusty

Well, that Asian driver might be supporting his and his wife's parents plus his own offspring. Super Shuttle's fares are still less than half what a Seattle-Tacoma airport taxi charges for a trip to either city. I used SS even after I left the company.  Got to meet some old buddies and catch up on company gossip. -- MB