Monday, April 6, 2015

My New BFF - Best Fish Friend


                            

Spent time with my two of my favorite ladies last week:  Blythe, age 10 (almost), and her grandmother, The Lady Karen.  We met at a coffee shop halfway between Sacramento and the Bay Area, where Blythe lives and where Lady K was visiting.  They brought gifts of licorice candy and a new best friend:  a fish.

Oh but not just any fish, but a genuine tropical orange and purple ninja fighting fish, called a Betta.  The fish came with a combination ninja dojo and bachelor pad water tank, a water filter, a light, some stylish fish furniture and accessories, and enough food to keep the fish in fighting trim.


Thing is, it doesn’t have another fish to fight. That’s a good thing if you want to keep your Betta on a long term basis, but there are reflecting surfaces on the inside of the tank.  This way it can happily hurl threats and insults at what seems to be another fish without risking injury and other fish mayhem. 

I haven’t told the fish that it’s only seeing reflection of itself and I don’t plan to.  It might get depressed and just sulk all day in a hidden recess of the stylish fish accessories  and be no fun at all. 

There are other benefits to having an active fish in an aquarium.   For one thing, it relaxes me.  For another, I spend less time watching TV and more time watching the fish. Unlike the TV, the fish doesn’t blab doom and gloom about the economy, reveal the personal secrets of celebrities I’ve never heard of, or try to sell me anything for $19.95 plus shipping and handling.  I find that refreshing.

I have made one minor lifestyle change now that the fish and I are roomies: I don’t make tuna sandwiches where the fish can see me. That’s just good manners

-o-